Subject: Re: More old tapes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 20:15:01 -0500

I have suspicions about the possibility for 4th edition, but
if it's real I'd like to grab it instanter.  The Miller Interdata
version would be a real find also.  Thanks for keeping me
informed.

These, together with a PWB, are things about which I
think there are no IP issues given agreements you already
have.

	Dennis

Subject: More old tapes
From: Warren Toomey <[email-masked]>
To: Dennis Ritchie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:00:39 +1100 (EST)

Dennis, interesting news. From Greg Lehey:

>> I was talking to Henry Hall this morning, and he tells me he thinks he
>> has some old UNIX tapes, possibly 4th Edition, 5th Edition and PWB.
>> They'd be on 9" tapes, probably 800 or 1600 bpi.  Henry's in Concorde
>> MA.

And from Richar Miller, who was at Wollongong Uni in Australia but now in
the UK; he has a copy of the Wollongong Interdata port of 6th Edition on
tape as well.

If & when we get these copied, I'll pass their contents on to you.

Cheers,
	Warren

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 20:39:03 -0500

Richard's thinking just like me--the basic stuff (e.g. kernel) no one
really cares about now in terms of IP,  but there are some
adhesions that persist.

I don't recall Henry Hall either, but something might jog
the memory.  See what happens, I guess.

	Dennis

Subject: Re: More old tapes
From: Warren Toomey <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 12:30:19 +1100 (EST)

> think there are no IP issues given agreements you already

Richard Miller thinks there may be some IP in the Interdata port that
flowed on to the Wollongong Group. If not, the Uni of Wollongong might
claim it. Anyway, he's contacting some people to get a blessing at least
from the Uni.

I don't know Henry Hall, do you know him? I guess you let out 4th Ed
to a few places after SOSP/CACM, so it is possible, just unlikely, that
there is a surviving copy.

Cheers,
	Warren