Subject: re: Who owns the 6th & 7th Edition Manuals?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 00:18:03 -0400

The 7th edition manuals have been available for some while on
our own server, and are currently at http://cm.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan.
This is a synonym for http://netlib.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan,
and it's doubtless reachable otherwise.

The version at ftp://elib.zib.de/pub/netlib/att/cs/v7man/README
looks like a mirror of an older version (at least of the
README).

Unlike code, which is involved with perhaps complicated
trade secret and other ownership issues, old manuals
that were released publicly and genuinely published
(e.g. the 7th edition Unix manual, by Saunders College
Publishing) are subject only to plain old copyright.
Unless there is some document I haven't seen, I don't
think that SCO has any exclusive copyright in manuals
published in 1979 by us.

Warren, so far as I know you're welcome to mirror our
version of the manual or link to it, just as Wolfram did.
Incidentally, I don't have online versions of any earlier
research manuals (1-6), but would be happy to get
and archive whatever you have.

	Dennis

---

From: Dion <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 97 10:53:30 PDT

I am sure Dennis is right and that you can go ahead and put these
online.

Dion L. Johnson II  - The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.              [email-masked]
Czar of Free Stuff and Technical customers' advocate.
400 Encinal St.  Santa Cruz, CA 95061    FAX: 408-427-5417  Voice: 408-427-7565

	From sco.sco.com!plan9.bell-labs.com!dmr Sat Sep 20 22:26:06 1997
	From: [email-masked]
	Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 00:18:03 -0400
	Subject: re: Who owns the 6th & 7th Edition Manuals?
	To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
	Status: RO

	

		Dennis

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 02:49:40 -0400

It turns out that the 6th edition is indeed online, it's just
not mounted by my shell script.  It's the same, I'm sure,
as what I sent you.

I've been thinking about how best to revive the earliest stuff.
The first manuals will have to be scanned in, but there's
someone here who's interested.

	Dennis