Subject: Re: Queries on PDP Unix status

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 01:25:24 EDT

I'll contact Peter and get him to keep me informed of the status of [Lions].

OK.  In more detail, the situation is this: the efforts with Novell were
rebuffed (basically "we don't really want to think about this").  We
know several of the SCO folks from way back (SCO is buying the SVr5 Unix rights
from Novell) and after saying sort of the same thing at first, they now seem
somewhat sympathetic.  But the sale won't happen for a couple of months.
Incidentally this is all complicated by the fact that Lions is in declining
shape physically.

Do not bother to talk to anyone at Novell.  They are selling it all off and have
no interest in dealing with such questions.

   We have 7th Edition running here, with a license. Can we talk to Bell Labs/AT&T
   about getting copies of 5th and 6th? Or who is the right person? Or is there
   a right person ??

I think I'm the person you need at AT&T; there is no one here distributing
any version of Unix in any official capacity.  If you have a 7th edition
then you are entitled to a 5th and 6th, and I'd be willing to let you have
it.   I guess the question is, what do you want to do with it?  If it's to
be put in an archive (sort of like saving the last bits of smallpox virus)
there's no problem, I'll just do it.

	Dennis

---

From: wkt (Warren Toomey)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 16:19:00 +1000 (EST)

In atricle by [email-masked]:
> 
> Do not bother to talk to anyone at Novell. They are selling it all off
> and have no interest in dealing with such questions.

Ok, thanks.

>    We have 7th Edition running here, with a license. [How do we get]
>    copies of 5th and 6th?
> 

Purely for sentimental reasons 8-) I've got 2.9BSD and 7th Ed running on
an 11/45 and an 11/40, it would be fun to try 5th and 6th out as well.

I take it from your emails that not much before 5th edition is still
in existence.

Thanks again,

	Warren