Subject: Re: SCO's UNIX src licenses officially $00.00

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 03:39:16 -0400

> I was wondering if Lucent would be interested in buying back the
 > rights to 1st - 7th Edition and 32V, obviously at a significant
 > discount, and then setting a less restrictive license.

 > I wonder what value SCO puts on the rights to 1e - 7e and 32V?
 > Maybe an individual could buy the rights :-)

Keith Bostic sent early mail today about the SCO announcements, and it's also
elsewhere (e.g. /.)  Thanks for tipping me earlier.

Let me think a bit about the rest.  It seems likely that both
SCO and (if I try to interest Lucent) we should be calculating the
PR value (given the $0.00) versus the internal costs of maintaining
something useful, combined with the "startup" costs of doing any
official negotiation.

	Dennis

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:14:24 -0400

I don't know if you watch the Plan 9 list; if you do,
you know that we're in the throes of persuading
the lawyer to sit down and write an open-source
type licence for the new distribution.  It's agreed
in principle that this will be done, but we haven't
been able to extract a draft of the terms yet so
we can find if we have to argue about them.

I wonder what the effect of throwing the early
unix question in to this would be?  (Now that
I think of it, I wonder what would happen if
we raised the question of v8-v10?  They
don't actually have much SV in them.