Subject: Re: Strange book idea

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:16:47 -0500

I don't have time to think much about this (I'm about to
travel and have to finish slides).  Bug me again in a couple
of weeks?

But I guess the off-the-top-of-the-head reaction is that your question

 > + Who is the overriding `editor', i.e who wants to be, who has time :-)
 >   Ditto for chapter authors.

is the important one.

It's not so much who has control, it's who takes it.  I don't think there
are likely to be serious permissions questions, just playing the game
of asking.  If you want to write a book, you just gotta do it.

	Dennis

Subject: Strange book idea
From: Warren Toomey <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 10:18:40 +1100 (EST)

Hi Dennis,
        After e-mailing you w.r.t an interview about the design of the
original UNIX API, I thought ``Why not a book?''. Here's my pitch:
 
+ A technical history of UNIX from 1969 to 1980, complementing Salus' book.
 
+ Many of the original papers could be republished.
 
+ Many of the little `notes' on your web page could be included.
 
+ Narrative chapters which alternate between paper reprints. These
  both weave a chronology thread which links the papers, but also
  reviews each of the Research Editions.
 
+ Other sections: interviews with Dennis & Ken on the original design.

+ Probably no author, more likely an editor. Authors for individual
  chapters.
 
+ Who gets to publish? I'd suspect Lucent would own copyright on most
  of the papers. Would Lucent publish, or could they give permission 
  to republish papers/notes to another publisher?

+ Who is the overriding `editor', i.e who wants to be, who has time :-)
  Ditto for chapter authors.

Anyway, I'd be keen on writing some parts. Do you have any suggestions,
comments etc.

Thanks,
	Warren