Subject: DECtape with V2

From: Warren Toomey <wkt>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:29:23 +1100 (EST)

Dennis,
	I forgot that attachment, it's on the end of this email. Now, about
that V2 DECtape. In the July 1984 issue of ;login: there is a Unix trivia quiz.
At the top, it says:

	The following quiz was distributed at the Salt Lake City conference
by Rob Pike... Jim McKie had the best score for an individual (57) and was
awarded an authenticated 1972 DECtape containing UNIX Version 2.

In 1995, I emailed Jim and asked him what had happened to the tape? He
replied:

	a couple of years ago we sent that dectape along with a bunch of
	others we found under to floor to keith bostic at berkeley who
	had resurrected a dectape drive. i don't remember getting it back.
	i'll enquire.

	i loved pdp11's.

So I assume that it must have been one of the DECtapes you had Keith read.
However, somehow it got lost because you haven't mentioned it.

So: do you guys still have those DECtapes, or does Keith have them? Would
it be possible to sort through the box and see if any of the tapes might
be the one that Jim won?

I know it's unlikely to turn up, but it's worth just another look. I'm
sure if the tape is found, we can get it read somehow.

Thanks again,

	Warren