Subject: Linux-Development Digest #502
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 94 18:13:07 EST

Linux-Development Digest #502, Volume #1         Sat, 26 Feb 94 18:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: PLEASE use the GPL (Nate Williams)
  InterViews 3.1 ? (R.C.Van-Den-Bergh)
  Netmasks not on byte boundaries? (Chuck Munro)
  Re: GOD SPEAKS ON LINUX! (Carlos Myers)
  Re: GOD SPEAKS ON LINUX! (Bill Hay)
  Re: GOD SPEAKS ON LINUX! (Chuck Munro)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Nate Williams)
Subject: Re: PLEASE use the GPL
Date: 26 Feb 1994 17:51:55 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Russell Nelson <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I suppose that I'm not so much arguing for the GPL in general as I am arguing
>for the GPL in place of "no commercial copying".

Now this is a fair statement.  I agree totally with Russ here.  If you
are going to give something away, give it away.  I won't go into the GPL
vs. BSD/MIT copyright issues here, but suffice it to say both of the
above copyrights are much easier to deal with than the 'no commericial'
copyright.  

If you want to make money from it, don't use other folks for free
advertising and bug fixes, which effectively giving it away for
non-commercial use is.  It gets debugged and nice features are added, so
that at a later date you can charge for it and commercial entities can't
use your (debugged and featureful) code w/out your permission.

Unfortunately, the folks who do Kermit (yes, Columbia University) forbid
commercial entities from distributing it w/out buying a copy of the
kermit book for every copy distributed.  I call this blackmail. 
Granted, alot of work has gone into making kermit a VERY nice product,
but as a former beta-tester, I didn't get paid for my efforts in doing
this.  I feel a bit cheated since I have always looked upon kermit as
'free software', and not encumbered.

Anyway, I'll get off my high-horse now.

Nate
-- 
[email-masked]     |  FreeBSD core member and all around tech.
[email-masked]          |  weenie.
work #: (406) 994-4836       |  Graduating May '94 with a BS in EE 
home #: (406) 586-0579       |  - looking for work in CS/EE field.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (R.C.Van-Den-Bergh)
Subject: InterViews 3.1 ?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 94 17:40:01 GMT

Hi,

Anyone know the UID of the person who ported IV 3.1 to Linux ?  I am
refering to the copy under X11/devel/iv31-bin.a[abc] and
X11/devel/iv31-lib.tgz.

Thanks,

        Cedric
--
        Zhaumer, High Priest of Amalgaer, the dwarven God of Something. 

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Munro)
Subject: Netmasks not on byte boundaries?
Date: 26 Feb 1994 17:45:36 GMT

I know this has been discussed here recently, but I've been very late
catching up with c.o.l.*, and my latest FAQ copy only has a mention of
netmask restrictions.

Currently I am led to believe that netmasks can only be set on whole-
byte boundaries in Linux (pl15).  I did note some code in the network
sources that included something like ">>8" to shift mask bits (I'm not
a C-language guru, sorry).

Is anyone working on it, or is this one of those rather tricky changes
which interacts with lots of other things?

I'd like to use a netmask on my Linux box in which the line between
network number and host number is drawn through the middle of a byte.

Chuck.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: GOD SPEAKS ON LINUX!
From: [email-masked] (Carlos Myers)
Date: 26 Feb 94 11:31:29 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (God) writes:
> THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE LORD!
> 
> HEAR MY COMMAND: LINUX IS THE OPERATING SYSTEM OF THE ANTICHRIST AND
> ANYONE WHO SO USES IT IS COMMITING A SIN!
> 
> I COMMAND ALL THOSE THAT USE LINUX TO IMMEDIATELY AND REPENT THEIR 
> EVIL SINS!  FOR THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH AND USERS OF LINUX SHALL
> DEFINITELY FACE A FATE IN THE FIERY LAKE OF DEATH IF THEY DO NOT ADMIT
> THE ERROR OF THE WAYS!
> 
> NOW, CAST AWAY ALL TRACES OF THE EVIL LINUX FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH,
> NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN.
> 
> THE END IS NEAR FOR LINUX AND ITS USERS, AND ALL THOSE WHO REVEL IN THEIR
> SINFUL USAGE.  COME AND CLEANSE YOUR SOULS AND DISKS FROM THE DAMNATION OF 
> THIS DARK OPERATING SYSTEM!
> 
> HEAR, FOR THE LORD SPEAKS!

MY FELLOW MORTALS,

THIS IS THE ANTI-CHRIST THAT SPEACK TO US.  HE WANTS US TO BELIEVE THAT 
HE IS THE LORD AND DEVERT US FROM THE STRAIT AND NARROW PATH TO HOLY
LINUX.

SOLRAC

--
I LIKE CAPS.  DO YOU? =)

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
From: [email-masked] (Bill Hay)
Subject: Re: GOD SPEAKS ON LINUX!
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 1994 16:50:25 +0000

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] "God" writes:

> THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE LORD!
> 
After slackware by Satnists and Jesus is coming perhaps the people seeking to 
reduce noise in the linux heirarchy shouldn't be proposing c.o.l.advocacy or 
more moderation but c.o.l.religion instead.

-- 
Bill Hay

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Munro)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: GOD SPEAKS ON LINUX!
Date: 26 Feb 1994 18:37:51 GMT

God ([email-masked]) wrote:
> THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE LORD!

[.... lots of cheerful text deleted ....]

Lord I needed this!!  I haven't had this good a laugh in a while.  My
thanks to the real originator of this post!

> THIS DARK OPERATING SYSTEM!
       ^    ^         ^
Um, you must mean DOS, eh?   You know ...  from the Gates of Hell.

Chuck.
ve1cam

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.development) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux

End of Linux-Development Digest
******************************