Subject: Linux-Activists Digest #74
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 92 16:00:16 EDT

Linux-Activists Digest #74, Volume #2            Wed, 15 Apr 92 16:00:16 EDT

Contents:
  man, nroff/groff --> Help me!!!! (Michael K. Johnson)
  extra line with xcomm. ([email-masked])
  User's Guide project (Michael K. Johnson)
  Need help with swapping (Andreas Mengel)
  Re: Too many duplicated messages (Theodore Y. Ts'o)
  help, incompatible video ..  (Nan-shan Chen)
  extra line update ([email-masked])
  Which 1gig disk to buy? (Doug Evans)
  expr (Fureching Jeng)
  changing keyboard repeat rate. (Michael K. Johnson)
  Re: Yet another X question (Kaleb Keithley)
  Token Ring? ("Demian A. Johnston")
  Token Ring? ("Demian A. Johnston")
  trouble with  dialin login and vi (Teresa Selling)
  Re: GCC2.1 (Wonderful !) (Kevin Cummings)
  Re: Problems compiling df and system utils under gcc 2.1 (Kevin Cummings)
  SVGA: 0.95c+ doesn't switch modes (Jay Maynard)
  Re: GCC2.1 (Wonderful !) (Kevin Cummings)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael K. Johnson)
Subject: man, nroff/groff --> Help me!!!!
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Michael K. Johnson)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 16:48:22 GMT

From: [email-masked] (cm445a17)

   Does anyone know of a working copy of the man/nroff-troff package?
   I got the man package from tsx-11.mit.edu and nroff and iit works
   fine for pre-formatted pages, but for unformated ones, nroff complains
   of unrecognized commands!!! (this is using the man switch)  Maybe this
   is a problem with the nroff I got.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
   Thanks,

   Jaime Jofre

Use the -mandoc command, rather than the -man command, as that will
recognize both the new BSD-style documentation and the regular -man
documentation. (BSD uses -mdoc -- thus -mandoc...)

This will be in documentation documentation ( ;-) once we get things
rolled together.

michaelkjohnson
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Subject: extra line with xcomm.
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 17:05:36 GMT

Hi, I recently d/l'd xcomm, and it was working fine. then this morning, when
I dialed into attmail, it suddenly started to add an extra line feed or
something.  I thought it might be attmail, but now I am using kermit(the old one,
the new one still does segmentation fault) and it is working fine, so the problem
has to be either me, or xcomm.
thanks for any help in advance, please e-mail to me, not the list.
jim gifford
[email-masked]
 ...!uunet!attmail.com!jgifford

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael K. Johnson)
Subject: User's Guide project
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Michael K. Johnson)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 17:21:56 GMT

From: [email-masked] (Einar Indridason)
   In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ajay Shah) writes:
   >[email-masked] (Joseph Knapka) writes:

   >>1) Do you think there is a need for such a document?
   >Yes, I think such a document would be rather valuable.
   >Linux is great.. what more could a hacker ask for?
   >But we could make the results of the same work accessible to
   >a much larger class of users if we add "a little" effort
   >on documentation and easy-to-use installation/administration.

   And perhaps some co-ordination regarding patches.  Perhaps a few persons
   would take each patch, and compare it to some "standard" source tree.

   I have used Minix a bit, but haven't installed Linux (yet), but I'd
   hate to see the "patch-mess", that minix has gotten into, hit Linux as
   well.

Well, as co-ordinator of both the manual project, and also the patch
directory at tsx-11, I suppose I should speak up ;-)

First, obligatory weekly plug, since new people seem to join this list
all the time:  If anyone is interested in helping in any way to create
manuals for linux (Not just man pages, but users' guides, programmers'
guides, etc.) mail [email-masked] and ask to be put on
the mailing list.  We have several projects going already, and the
more, the merrier.

The patches seem to be better co-ordinated than what I have seen in
minix, because it is so easy to get the latest official version -- you
don't have to patch patches of patches of patches of patches, some of
which were altered somewhere along the way, etc. etc.  The official
version keeps up fairly well with the patches, without bloating too
much, thanks to Linus's tireless editing and work.  (Well, I suppose
he gets tired of it sometimes, but it doesn't show...)  So generally
the patches are are ways to add extra features that are not in the
official version, and just are not so overwhelming as in minix.

So I am not terribly worried that linux will fall into the patch-mire
in the near (or far) future.  Even if Linus someday gives up making
_the_ official kernel, there are other people who will keep an
official version going (although he seems to be having fun -- again,
I'm not too worried).  This is no longer a one-person thing.

michaelkjohnson
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Andreas Mengel)
Subject: Need help with swapping
Date: 15 Apr 92 16:18:47 GMT

Hi there!

First of all a BIG THANX to Linus and all the rest who have made this nice l
little *nix work. I just tossed aside my old ISC and installed it.
Looks great, even my C++-sources compile with the new gcc2.1 :-)))

But I also had some little problems:

        - how can I set up the swap-space correctly ?
          I tried mkswap /dev/hd03 10240 (10MB, 3rd partition) with and
          without the "-c"-flag to mkswap. And I tried setting up a swap-file
          with the same result: swapon complains about not being able to find
          the swap-space-signature (I think its something like "SWAP-SPACE", 
          looked through the swap-file). Anything I am doing totally wrong ???
          (B.t.w.: I am using an adaptec-1542b-scsi-controller with a 150MB
          disk, if that matters)

        - when I compiled my sources (C++) to object-files and put them together
          into a library using "ar rc libfoo.a foo1.o foo2.o ..." I was not
          able to link these libraries to my other sources. ld complained
          about undeclared symbols in the text-segment but nm showed that all
          the symbols were in the library. I helped me out creating a shared
          object (with ld -x -r) and linking that.
          Any suggestions.

Thanx, falcon

Keep working on Linux, this is the best thing I have seen since I first
saw X-Windows.
-- 
Bye,
        Falcon
===============================================================================
                           Real Name: Andreas Mengel
              Bitnet: 169371@DOLUNI1  |  UUCP:  [email-masked]
           Internet: [email-masked]
               falcon@aragorn | falcon@gimli | falcon@theoretica
              +-------------------------------------------------+
              |Some say I'm lazy, but others say that's just me.|
              |Some say I'm crazy, I guess I'll always be! (GnR)|
              +-------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.config
From: [email-masked] (Theodore Y. Ts'o)
Subject: Re: Too many duplicated messages
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 17:51:09 GMT

>From: [email-masked] (Dahai Li)
>Reply-To: [email-masked] (Dahai Li)

>For the past week, there are many duplicated messages appearing in the
>linux-digests. And I did notice some one complained about it. However, I
>don's see any reponse, and they keep on coming.

I did send a response; as I mentioned, this is because of a bug in C
News about how it handles aliased newsgroups.   (I had aliased
alt.os.linux to comp.os.linux, so that people who send articles to only
alt.os.linux would still appear in the digest.)  However, it seems that
doing this is counterproductive at this point, since I suspect we are
annoying more people with the duplicated messages than we are helping by
catching the stray message which is sent to only alt.os.linux.  So I
will be discontinuing this forwarding of alt.os.linux as of today.  If
someone sends a message to only alt.os.linux, you will not see their
message in the Digest.

I asked about rmgroup'ing alt.os.linux a week or so ago, and some
people responded that comp.os.linux still hadn't been created yet at
their site.  So last week I sent out newgroup messages for
comp.os.linux again.  If those sites haven't created comp.os.linux by
now, they probably have lame sysadmins and it is unlikely they will
get around to creating those groups any time soon.  So, I don't think
we really have an obligation to accomodate them much longer; having
two newsgroups is somewhat confusing, and we should really transition
everyone over to using comp.os.linux. 

So, let me repeat my call.  Shall we rmgroup alt.os.linux?  I think its
time has come.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Theodore Ts'o                           bloom-beacon!mit-athena!tytso
308 High St., Medford, MA 02155         [email-masked]
   Everybody's playing the game, but nobody's rules are the same!

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Nan-shan Chen)
Subject: help, incompatible video .. 
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 17:07:48 GMT

Hi everybody, 

I have just downloaded the Boot & Root image of LINUX.  There is, however,
a serious problem in the first place.  I could not even view the screens.
That's the same problem as in MINIX.  But I could set it to software
scroll under MINIX just by pressing a key or doing:

        setterm -softscroll

There is no "softscroll" option of setterm in LINUX.

What should I do? 

--

                         ////\
                        { 0-0 }
                         \ o /

------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Subject: extra line update
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 18:23:04 GMT

I have tried pcplus, kermit-MS,kermit-C, windows term(3.0&3.1),and even (blech)
pcomm, and none have the extra line feed problem, only xcomm, and it didn't
start until after a download early this morning(around 2:00am) I don't know 
why, and I can't find a reference in the init file or the docs.  I tried
set cr on;set cr off;set nl on;set nl off;anything else that looked even
remotely possible.  

on to another note, about these cross-posts, the long ones are really annoying
(try 5 pages twice)anyway, an idea:
   You have software translating from the groups to the list, why not a script
   to take messages from one group and send it to the other group(this is for
   those that can get one or the other, but not both) and then tell people
   not to crosspost, that everyone will see it anyway.
      whatta ya think, Ted?, can it be done, and is it worth it?

Jim Gifford
[email-masked]
 ...!uunet!attmail.com!jgifford

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd,comp.unix.sysv386,comp.periphs
From: [email-masked] (Doug Evans)
Subject: Which 1gig disk to buy?
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 16:59:48 GMT

I want to upgrade my system with a 1gig scsi disk and was wondering if anyone
has any advice on ones to get, ones to avoid, etc. ...
I'd appreciate responses from satisfied owners as well as dissatisfied ones!

Fuji?
Seagate?
???

I'll be using it with Linux and/or 386bsd.

Please reply by email (Followup-To: poster).
1e6 thanks in advance.
-- 
Doug Evans                   |
..!{canada,uunet}!sspiff!dje | Vancouver 11, Calgary 0
[email-masked] (prefered!)  | There is no joy in Cowtown.
[email-masked]     | But how 'bout those Canucks, eh?

------------------------------

From: jeng@ipanema..bellcore.com (Fureching Jeng)
Subject: expr
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Fureching Jeng)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 92 17:53:01 GMT

I have installed gcc 2.1 on my machine. Unfortunately, I can't run g++ without

"expr". Does anyone know where I can get "expr"?

Thanks,

FC

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael K. Johnson)
Subject: changing keyboard repeat rate.
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Michael K. Johnson)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 18:51:51 GMT

OK, I have gotten several requests for info on how to change the
keyboard repeat rate, so here goes.  Note:  I can't just give diffs,
because there are lots of options, and for heaven's sake it's only
three lines of code.

In boot/setup.S, there are the lines:

! set the keyboard repeat rate to the max

        mov     ax,#0x0305
        mov     bx,0x0000
        int     0x16

If you don't want to change the repeat rate at all, just comment out
these lines.  If you want something in the middle, change the
        mov     bx,0x0000
to      mov     bx,0x????
where ???? is determined by (from Ralf Brown's interrupt list)
bh = delay value (0x00 = 250 ms to 0x03 = 1000 ms (one second))
        this is the delay before the repeat starts happening
bl = repeat rate (0x00 = 30/sec to 0x0c = 10/sec [default] to 0x1f = 2/sec)

I use   mov     bx,0x0006
to delay 1/4 sec, then repeat at what I think is a comfortable rate.
I am too lazy to calculate the exact speed -- maybe 20/sec? ;-)

Hope this helps people.

michaelkjohnson
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Kaleb Keithley)
Subject: Re: Yet another X question
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 92 17:43:46 GMT

In article <mper.703312424@uipsuxb> [email-masked] (Michael Pereckas) writes:
>I know it is sort of early to be asking this, but does anyone have a 
>guess as to how much disk space X Windows will
>need?  I'm trying to get a handle on how much money I'll have to
>come up with to upgrade my system to run it when it becomes 
>available.  I know better than to ask when that will be.
>

When I built R5 under ESIX V4, (and didn't do contrib, docs, or the 100dpi
fonts, but did do shared AND static libs) it used >100 meg.

-- 

Kaleb Keithley                               [email-masked]

Not authorized, in any way, shape, or form, to speak for anyone.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 13:45:15 -0400 
From: "Demian A. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Token Ring?

Hi, 
    I have had a wonderful time getting Linux 0.95c+ up and running. I
first had 0.95a and then compiled my own kernel.  (Gcc 1.40)  And
currently and loving gnu-emacs, gcc, bash, nethack, and kermit..  Great
Job Linus et al...

    My problem.  I have a network connection from my PC to my campus
network and the INTERNET via Token Ring..  (This sux if I want to use
unix anywhere)
I have software drivers for MSDOS. But I would love to be able to use my
token ring from under linux..  I am pretty sure the was an IBMTOKEN 
packet driver that worked with the MSDOS ka9q port.  Is there one I can
use with Linux's  KA9Q???

    Thanks again, and congratualtions to everyone on a great OS...

                                                  Demian 
                                              --->  [email-masked]
                                              --->  [email-masked]
                                              --->  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 13:45:15 -0400 
From: "Demian A. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Token Ring?

Hi, 
    I have had a wonderful time getting Linux 0.95c+ up and running. I
first had 0.95a and then compiled my own kernel.  (Gcc 1.40)  And
currently and loving gnu-emacs, gcc, bash, nethack, and kermit..  Great
Job Linus et al...

    My problem.  I have a network connection from my PC to my campus
network and the INTERNET via Token Ring..  (This sux if I want to use
unix anywhere)
I have software drivers for MSDOS. But I would love to be able to use my
token ring from under linux..  I am pretty sure the was an IBMTOKEN 
packet driver that worked with the MSDOS ka9q port.  Is there one I can
use with Linux's  KA9Q???

    Thanks again, and congratualtions to everyone on a great OS...

                                                  Demian 
                                              --->  [email-masked]
                                              --->  [email-masked]
                                              --->  [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Teresa Selling)
Subject: trouble with  dialin login and vi
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 92 18:35:30 GMT

I can use vi fine on my system with Linux 0.95c+ installed, but when I
call into school I have trouble with vi messing up the lines and such.

I already do stty erase "^?" to make the backspace work.  Is there something
I need to do to fix this other problem.  I had no trouble with vi on the
school computer before (HP unix) with linux 0.12....any suggestions 
appreciated.
--
Teresa Selling, IUSB, Indiana.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Cummings)
Subject: Re: GCC2.1 (Wonderful !)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 18:41:01 GMT

The bottom line here must be quality of the generated code.  And
in particular the CORRECTNESS of the generated code.  Whenever
a code generator bug is founf in gcc-1.4, that is the time to
retire it in favor of gcc-2.x (assuming of course that the same
bug does not (no longer?) exists in gcc-2.x.

=================================================================
Kevin J. Cummings                       Prime Computer Inc.
20 Briarwood Road                       500 Old Connecticut Path
Framingham, Mass.                       Framingham, Mass.

Work:  [email-masked]
Home:  [email-masked]

Std. Disclaimer: "Mr. McKittrick, after careful consideration,
                  I've come to the conclusion that your new
                  defense system SUCKS..."   --  War Games
=================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Cummings)
Subject: Re: Problems compiling df and system utils under gcc 2.1
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1992 18:44:31 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Daniel A. Martin) writes:
> I got a few errors while compiling df as well as chsh and mkswap from the
> system-0.95a.tar.Z file...BTW shouldn't df be in this file too?
> 
> df compiled ok before I installed gcc 2.1 so SUPER_MAGIC was probably
> defined in one of the old include files...what is it supposed to be?

I just recompiled df.c last night.  I even made a change to it to print out
the remaining disk space as a percentage as well as an absolute.  Trial and
error (and a well placed printf call) told me to put the following line
in df.c:

#define SUPER_MAGIC 0x137F

It's the same value that appears as MINIX_SUPER_MAGIC in the file minix_fs.h.

In a related note, adduser seems to work pretty well, except that it got
screwed up by the "extra" last line in my /etc/passwd file.  I don't think
the "extra" line is needed if you are running on a system compiled with
gcc-2.1.  I took it out with no (yet, knock on wood) ill effects.

The su program that I gott from tsx-11 is old and out of date.  First off,
it doesn't encrypt the password typed in.  So you have to type in the
encrypted password.  Second of all, I'm not sure what the requirement is
for a user being able to sucessfully su to root.  su complained that
I was not in the proper group, so my request was invalid.  Under SUNOS, anyone
who knows the root password can su to root.  Under Sys V, you need to be
in the file /etc/su_people, and su_people MUST have the right permissions
and owners on it (and it doesn't prompt for a password).  What should
the proper LINUX behaviour be?  Personally I vote for knowing the
root password AND being listed in the appropriate file.  This protects
administrators against inadverdantly leaving their terminal unattended
as well as restricting usage from people who may have "stolen" one password.
su whould in effect require two passwords to become root (user password
and root password) on those lines where root cannot log in directly.

=================================================================
Kevin J. Cummings                       Prime Computer Inc.
20 Briarwood Road                       500 Old Connecticut Path
Framingham, Mass.                       Framingham, Mass.

Work:  [email-masked]
Home:  [email-masked]

Std. Disclaimer: "Mr. McKittrick, after careful consideration,
                  I've come to the conclusion that your new
                  defense system SUCKS..."   --  War Games
=================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jay Maynard)
Subject: SVGA: 0.95c+ doesn't switch modes
Date: 15 Apr 1992 18:37:20 GMT

I just put a Trident SVGA9000 in my machine. When I boot 0.95c+ (and 0.95a,
too), it shows the list of available SVGA modes. When I select one, though,
the card is never put into the other mode; instead, I still have a 25x80
screen. If I select a mode with more lines, the last (n-25) aren't shown on my
screen at all. What's going on here?
-- 
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
[email-masked]      | adequately be explained by a .sig virus.
   "While we liked developing Windows applications, we never inhaled." --
              Philippe Kahn, in Infoworld, 13 Apr 1992

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Cummings)
Subject: Re: GCC2.1 (Wonderful !)
Date: 15 Apr 92 19:15:09 GMT

OK, coming from one of the companies that pioneered shared libraries
for the mini-computer industry, and therefore having a VERY one-sided
view of them, I need to get a few questions answered about LINUX
shared libraries.  So here goes:

    Are the shared libraries dynamicly linked to at runtime?  or are
    the .a files bound at install time to whatever shared library
    is in /lib/whatever?  If the latter, then this would explain the
    "extra" step necessary to "install" the programs that use them
    and why .a files are necessary.  Does this mean that these 
    programs that use shared libraries must be re-installed every time
    the shared library is updated?  (If so, then: Barf, puke, etc.)

Please excuse if these are newbie style questions, but working for
a proprietary computer manufacturer for 15 years is an easy way to not
become a UNIX expert.

=================================================================
Kevin J. Cummings                       Prime Computer Inc.
20 Briarwood Road                       500 Old Connecticut Path
Framingham, Mass.                       Framingham, Mass.

Work:  [email-masked]
Home:  [email-masked]

Std. Disclaimer: "Mr. McKittrick, after careful consideration,
                  I've come to the conclusion that your new
                  defense system SUCKS..."   --  War Games
=================================================================

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    tupac-amaru.informatik.rwth-aachen.de	pub/msdos/replace

The current version of Linux is 0.95a released on March 17, 1992

End of Linux-Activists Digest
******************************